Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Top Half

Since my last post, "Warm and Toasty on a Crisp Autumn Night I've received numerous requests, from people concerned about my safety, for pictures of the chimney and "roof penetration" we constructed while installing our converted propane tank/wood stove into our camper.  I'll do my best to explain the form and function expressed in each of the following photos:
 
In the first picture, we see a view of the chimney where the stove pipe enters it.  It is a 5" x 6" box made of Durock (the same fiberglass reinforced concrete panels we used for the enclosure in my previous post ).  The chimney box has been reinforced with angle metal screwed into it, as well as being bolted through the top plate via the metal flange on the top.  The hole in the ceiling is 14" square.  Although you can barely see it in this picture, the stovepipe is double-walled where it goes through the roof.
 
 
 
The next picture is a view from outside of the trailer.   The top of the chimney extends well past the 3' building code requirement.  A fine-mesh screen raincap tops everything off, ensuring that no hot ashes get out, or rain gets in.
 
 
 
The third picture shows the top plate.  It, too, is made of Durock and is raised above the roof deck on 3 layers of Durock strips that are 2" wide and interlaced at the corners.  All of this has been glued together using hi-temp silicone sealant, then screwed together and bolted down to the roof.  The seam at the roof deck was caulked using hi grade silicone sealant.  The top flange is also sealed to the top plate with hi-temp silicone.  We had to tape the edges of the flange down, with metal tape, to keep it from vibrating in the wind.  Everything except the top flange will be getting a metal flashing when we continue the roof repairs. (Seen in the back of this pic)
 
 
The combined results of our construction have resulted in a system that barely even gets warm to the touch, with the exception of the metal stove pipe itself, even after several hours of wood burning use. While we could measure the temperature of the stove pipe, the results would be inconsequential, as the pipe is well insulated and far removed from any combustion hazard.  We will continue to monitor this furnace, round the clock, to insure our safety and well being.  I hope this allays some of the fears that have been conveyed to me by my friends.  I assure you, I'm in the best hands possible.  Till next time...
 
Horsey Dreams
and
Chardonnay Kisses 

1 comment:

  1. Neat things you are doing, and I admire you and Dubs for your project. I always wanted to homestead, but life takes unexpected turns at times. If I were younger.....but I am not. Best of luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete