Monday, October 13, 2014

Pioneer Girl Goes Hollywood (For a day)

 Extra, extra: read all about it: This pioneer girl has gone Hollywood!
 

The initial set, near Hooper, CO.
 
This morning, I was up well before dawn, beating Bucky, (our rooster), to the punch.   For those of you who know me, you  can appreciate the rarity of this event, as I normally prefer to sleep until noon or later (thank you, Dubs, for always covering the morning shift).
 
Today was different:  Dubs and I had a mission to accomplish.  About 10 days ago, Dubs was approached by the Adams State University public relations office, inquiring as to whether or not he would be interested in playing the role of a cowboy in a modern Western movie, to be filmed right here in the San Luis Valley (SLV).   Having lived here for over 15 months now, Dubs has established somewhat of a reputation for himself in the local community as an OGC (off-gridder cowboy), computer guru, contractor, etc.  Needless to say, within a few hours of receiving the inquiry, I was in downtown Alamosa, preparing to show pictures of Dubs to the casting agent. 
 


Dubs, on sound check. 
Upon seeing the multiple pictures of Dubs, (some of which included me), the casting agent immediately put us in contact with the director of the proposed movie, proclaiming that Dubs would be perfect for the suggested role.  As luck would have it, the casting agent saw something in me as well, and, much to my surprise, recommended me for a bit part in the movie, playing a waitress/cashier.
 
Needless to say, within a couple of hours, I received a call from New York City, from the director of the movie, asking if we would like to participate in the production of the film.  Dubs and I, beside ourselves with giddiness and anticipation, agreed to sign on, with filming slated to begin 10/12.
 
I've kept this uber quiet for the last few days, not sure if I should post about it or keep it under wraps.  Today, my questions were answered.  This morning at 6:30, Dubs and I showed up at the set, which was situated adjacent to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. While I can't discount the fact that we were both nervous, we came prepared to act out our scenes (which had previously been forwarded to us by email).
 

Some of the staff "resetting" everything to prepare for another take

Upon our arrival, in the wee hours of dawn, we were thrilled to be greeted by a large group of movie staffers.  The director, his 1st Assistant Director, gaffers, grips, and a bevy of other positions were represented, as well as other actors in the movie. 
 
Having made our respective acquaintances, we proceeded to load out to our first set site, a tiny gas station called "My Sister's Place", situated about 18 miles north of Alamosa, in a quiet, pastoral setting.  Dubs was first up on the docket, playing the role of a seasoned cowboy.  The script called for him to drive up in an old, faded grey Ford pickup truck, and proceed into the gas station, as if to buy cigarettes, groceries, etc.  As Dubs is finalizing his purchase, "Marcus", the main character in the movie, (who had previously been chilling in the gas station), proceeds to steal his truck, burning rubber as Dubs busts through the door, trying in vain to stop the carjacker.  All in all, the stolen-truck scene was shot and re-shot, from various angles, about 10 times, until the desired effect was achieved.  In the meantime, I sat demurely in the background, preferring to remain low-key, until my presence was requested.
Between takes, ready to try again
Soon enough  (i.e., yawnnn...6 hours later), around 3 p.m., Dubs and I headed over to our second set locale, a cozy little gas station located just minutes from The Great Sand Dunes National Park.
 
Suddenly, and cataclysmically, it was MY turn.  I only had 3 lines to memorize...quite simple, really.  Still,  my stomach churned incessantly as I continued to doubt myself and my acting ability, the latter of which is virtually non-existent.
 
Fortunately, the crew and cast were completely understanding, and forgiving.  I have no doubt that they sensed my apprehension and nervousness, (having never played a theatrical role in my life), yet they continued to urge me on, encouraging me for my efforts.  In short, we had the scene nailed within 5 takes, from 2 different camera angles.  After the shoot, they told me that I did a great job...by not trying to "over-act" my role, but just being myself.  I guess nailing a scene in 3 takes or less is good???

At both set locations, we were beset with copious amounts of delicious food, too keep us going through the long day of shooting.  We enjoyed homemade cinnamon rolls, sandwiches, salads, BBQ brisket, and a veritable buffet of desserts!  They even had real Blueberry Lemonade, with real blueberries frozen into the ice cubes!  It was heavenly!

They had some really
high tech equipment
 

Dubs with one of the "slates" that they
begin every scene with
Anyway, Dubs and I are on Cloud 9, and not just because of our mad love for each other, but that we had the opportunity to participate in a legitimate movie shoot...a once in a lifetime experience.  They want me back on 10/21 to do a closing scene.  Must be doing something right. 
   
 
Ciao! (I hear that all the big-time stars say that...)
Horsey Dreams
and
Chardonnay Kisses!



No comments:

Post a Comment